Northport/ East Northport Drug and Alcohol Task Force
As a recipient of federal funding from the CDC Drug-Free Communities (DFC) Support Program, CN Guidance & Counseling Services has partnered with The Northport-East Northport Community Drug and Alcohol Task Force (DATF) to provide the fiscal oversight necessary to aid the DATF in strengthening community-wide collaboration to prevent and reduce substance use among youth in that community.
The partnership allows for the DATF to carry out its mission by using a comprehensive approach to engage and educate children, parents and community members.
- Inform the public about alcohol and other drug related-issues
- Promote alternative activities for youth in order to reduce risk factors
- Provide information and referral to community resources
- Identify needs and find ways to meet those needs and coordinate appropriate services
The DATF includes 1Life, a Youth Coalition, a group of Northport High School students, dedicated to making the Northport/East Northport community a healthier, happier place by raising awareness about drug/alcohol use and mental health.
Activities and events provided by the DATF throughout the year include, but are not limited to:
- Medication collections in partnership with local libraries and the police to reduce risk and provide protection to the environment.
- An annual Color Run which marks the beginning of Recovery, Awareness and Prevention (RAP) week, a local school district-wide campaign. The Color Run participants come together to run or walk a short course while they’re doused in color.
- Narcan trainings to the DATF community.
- Mental Health First Aid training to the DATF community.
- A Pre-Prom Parent/Student Education at the Northport High School.
- Northport High School Wellness Week.
- Environmental Scans with 1Life (Beach Clean ups).
- Active Parenting program – an evidence-based parent education program that provides the skills needed to use effective discipline, teach youth responsibility, and communicate with their children.